Musical Theatre Solo & Ensemble Festival
MSVMA welcomes middle and high school students to participate in its Musical Theatre Solo and Ensemble Festivals. Participants must be in 7th-12th grade, enrolled and in good standing in their school's vocal music program. Student's school must be a member of MSVMA.
Registration & Payment
- Registration opens October 1.
- Fees are $35 for soloists, $50 for duets, and $80 for ensembles (3-20 participants).
- Deadline for registration and payment is October 20.
For registration questions, contact State Events Scheduling Coordinator Julia Holt or Special Events Supervisor Lyn CieChanski.
Payment can be made by school check or director’s personal check payable to MSVMA and must be postmarked by the deadline. Purchase orders are acceptable at the postmark deadline, but the State Office must receive payment one week prior to the festival.
Invoices and checks for fees payable to MSVMA should be mailed to:
P.O. Box 1131
Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Soloists, duets, and ensembles (up to 20 performers) are eligible to participate.
- Ensembles will be invited to participate in the Music Theatre Solo and Ensemble Festival; utilizing the same registration rules as classic S&E with a maximum of 20 singers per ensemble.
- Fees: soloists-$35, duets-$50, and ensembles-$80 (3-20 participants)
- Events will be allotted a maximum of 15 minutes which includes entry and exit to and from the performance room and time for oral comments from the adjudicator.
- The MSVMA S&E rubrics will be used for this event.
- Performers are expected to present a convincing musical performance. Cautious use of belt and using a more mixed tone is encouraged.
- Each event must perform two selections of contrasting styles - an up-tempo piece and a ballad. Music must be memorized.
- One selection must have been composed before 1965.
- Recommended composers include: Harold Arlen, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael, Vernon Duke, Duke Ellington, George and Ira Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Hart and Loewe, Arthur Schwartz, Jule Styne, Jimmy VanHeusen, Vincent Youmans, early Stephen Sondheim, early Leonard Bernstein, Kurt Weill
- There are no required "books" for this event.
- Each event must provide two original copies of the selections (one for the adjudicator and one for the accompanist) with measures clearly numbered. Failure to do so will result in no Final Determination. If music was purchased online, you must have two original proofs of purchase, one for each copy.
- Use of illegally duplicated music will disqualify the soloist or ensemble from receiving a Final Determination. However, the event will be allowed to perform for "comments only".
- Any changes in the literature must be changed online one week prior to the Festival.
- When performing music requiring accompaniment, live accompaniment must be used.
- Ensembles may perform published choral arrangements of Broadway tunes.
- One selection must have been composed before 1965 (Contemporary arrangements of selections originally published before 1965 are allowed).
- The use of costumes, choreography, or other elements that evoke the story or characters of a legitimate stage musical work is prohibited in the absence of a performance license. However, facial expression and physical involvement that is appropriate to the text and style of the music is encouraged.
- The director who is the school membership representative will complete the online student applications.
- Directors are encouraged to give careful consideration to the age appropriateness of the literature.
- All questions should be directed to the Festival Supervisor.
- In signing the registration form, the principal and the director agree supervise the students from their school to ensure proper conduct at the festival. Improper student conduct may result in sanctions being imposed by the MSVMA Executive Board.
- Each accompanist only may play for 10 events.
Missed Event Policy
- The purpose of the Missed Event Policy is to allow flexibility for students who missed their solo performance time due to circumstances beyond their control which occurred on the date/time of their scheduled performance (dangerous weather, late bus, accompanist no-show or weather-delayed.) Other scheduling conflicts do not qualify for Missed Event consideration.
- No requests for Missed Event consideration may be made until after the student actually missed their event, and only for circumstances as described above. Please make every effort to have students perform as scheduled.
- The Missed Event Policy may not be used to request scheduling changes. All scheduling conflicts must be addressed by the member/director of the school by communicating with the Scheduler in advance of the deadline.
- The student's director is the only person that can ask for a change to the schedule. No parents or students are allowed in the headquarters. If the student's director is not there, the student has no option to be rescheduled.
The individual in charge of the master schedule will work with the director to determine if an opening is available that will accommodate the student and the accompanist.
A fee of $10 shall be paid at the acceptance of the rescheduled opening or the event will not perform. Payment will be made by cash or director's check payable to MSVMA.
Application Deadline - October 20
November 13, 2021
Monroe High School
901 Herr Road
Host and Coordinator
November 20, 2021
Grand Valley State University