Performance eligibility requirements:
- A Choir must be comprised of 17 or more students from within the high school of the school district.
- Choir must have received a Excellent with Superior Distinction or Excellent Final Determination at District Choral Festival.
- It is expected that the choir will consist of the same members who performed at District Choir Festival.
- Each Choir may sing two or three selections.
One selection must be from the approved repertoire list. (click to view MSVMA's Required Repertoire Lists)
Popular show tunes, vocal jazz, barbershop, gospel, or novelty selections are not to be used.
- Choreography is not allowed.
- Choirs must not use illegally reproduced copies of music. Accompanists must have original copies.
- Choirs must provide four copies of the selections with measures clearly numbered for the adjudicators.
- Any changes in the literature must be emailed to the Festival Supervisor no later than one week prior to the first day of the festival.
***New as of 2015***
- All state events scheduling will be accomplished and communicated to directors by the State Scheduling Coordinator. More information to follow.
- All invoices and fees will be submitted to the MSVMA State Office.
- All on-site festival communication and management will be accomplished by the Festival Supervisor.
- Online registration must be completed by the deadline. (click to view the form in the Forms Library)
- One completed and signed registration form postmarked or hand delivered to State Event Scheduling Coordinator by stated deadline.
- $160 fee per choir by check or purchase order made payable to MSVMA postmarked to MSVMA State Office by state deadline. If submitting purchase order, payment must be received no later than one week prior to the festival. Personal checks are acceptable from the director only.
- ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
- Choirs will not be assigned a Final Determination but will receive written comments from three adjudicators and have a clinic session with a fourth adjudicator upon completion of the performance.
- In signing the registration form, the principal and the director agree to:
Improper student conduct may result in sanctions being imposed by the MSVMA Executive Board.
- follow all the rules and regulations as specified in the MSVMA handbook.
- ensure that all students who perform are in good standing in the school’s vocal music program.
- supervise the students from their school to ensure proper conduct at the festival. Suggested guideline is one chaperone per fifteen students.
- Maximum stage time is 15 minutes. This time includes the performance of the three pieces and the time needed to enter and exit the stage. Choirs that exceed this time may be stopped.
- There will be a 15 minute clinic following performance.
- There will be no sight reading for this event.
- Every attempt will be made to honor performance date and time requests. However, schools sending multiple groups cannot be assured of having them scheduled on the same day.
- Choirs may be scheduled to sing as early as 8 a.m. or as late as 10 p.m.
- Nationally recognized master choral clinicians will be selected for this event.
- All questions should be directed to your State Choir Festival Supervisor.
- Participants may purchase ‘participation’ medals at $4 each.
Transfer request guidelines:
- Transfer request must be submitted to the Executive Board Director of State Events (click to view the form in the Forms Library) by November 15 of the current school year.
- A transfer will not be granted due to preference of site unless a school‘s traveling time exceeds 3 hours or is a distance greater than 150 miles to the assigned site.
- Transfers will be considered if the requested site is closer to the member school unless a large number of transfer requests could overload any site.
- Transfers may also be granted when state events conflict with schools‘spring breaks or state testing.
- The State Event transfer guidelines will allow for schools with school related conflicts to transfer on a first come, first serve basis. The transfer will be approved provided the requested site is not full. Approval and notification will be given after scheduling is complete. All other past policy is still in place.
- All eligible Jr. High/Middle School Choir that qualify for State Choral Festival will attend the same site as High School Choirs.
Choirs receiving a final determination of Excellent (with Superior Distinction) or Excellent at District Choral Festival shall qualify to participate in State Choral Festival
STATE FINAL DETERMINATIONS
Final Determinations will not be given to JHMS Choirs performing at the State level.
Junior High/Middle School State Choral Festival Essential Information:
All eliglible Jr. High/Middle School Choirs that qualify for State Choral Festival may attend the same site as High School Choirs. See below for district information. The Southeast JMS site has been eliminated.
| South Site|| |
| Districts|| 8, 11, 12, and 15|
| Festival Supervisor|| TBD|
| Email|| |
| Phone #|| |
| Host|| Monty Bishop|
| Location|| Holt High School|
5885 West Holt Rd
Holt - 48842
| East Site|| |
| Districts|| 3, 4, and 16|
| Festival Supervisor|| Kent Wattleworth|
| Email|| firstname.lastname@example.org|
| Phone #|| 734-634-3593|
| Host|| Michael Peterson|
| Location|| Walled Lake Northern |
6000 Bogie Lake Rd
Commerce Twp -
| West Site|| |
| Districts|| 6, 7, and 10|
| Festival Supervisor|| TBD|
| Email|| |
| Phone #|| |
| Host|| Les Rowsey|
| Location|| Jenison High School|
2141 Bauer Rd
Jenison - 49428
| Central Site|| |
| Districts|| 1, 2, 5, and 9|
| Festival Supervisor|| Emerick Dee|
| Email|| EmerickDee@MSVMA.org|
| Phone #|| 989-275-6675, school|
Mail all forms to:
Oxford, MI 48371
|Send Checks to:||MSVMA State Office|
P.O. Box 1131
Big Rapids, MI49307
| Host|| Central Michigan Univ|
| Location|| Mt. Pleasant|
| UP Site|| |
| Districts|| 13 and 14|
| Festival Supervisor|| Jan Brodersen|
| Email|| JanBrodersen@MSVMA.org|
| Phone #|| 906-225-5383|
| Host|| Lake Superior|
| Location|| 393 State Hwy|
Marquette - 49855