To participate in any of the adjudicated and non-adjudicated events, the following apply:
- The school that the singer or singers represent must hold a current MSVMA membership.
- Students participating in any festival must be members in good standing in the school‘s vocal music program.
- For MSVMA activities, Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 are designated as high school level. Grades 6, 7, and 8 are designated as junior high/middle school level.
- 9th Grade students may participate in solo/ensemble or choral festivals at the high school or junior high/middle school level, but not both. Once designated, the student must perform at this level through district and state level festivals for that school year. Rules for participation, including repertoire and sight-reading requirements, follow the designation of the festival.
9th Grade students performing in the 7-8-9 SSA or 7-8-9 SATB Honors Choir would not be impacted by the solo/ensemble or choral festival designation. Requests for exemption to this policy must be made in writing to the Executive Committee.
- Deadline dates will be strictly enforced to facilitate scheduling and ensure a well-organized festival.
- District deadlines are posted on the district web pages. See the calendar located on the website for all other events deadlines.
- All required forms must be postmarked or hand delivered by the online registration deadline. FAXES will not be accepted. Appropriate fees must accompany all required forms. Payment is required for Purchase Orders.
- Fees are non-refundable.
- If a deadline is missed, the deadline appeals process may be used. The appeals process is as follows: If the director feels that there are extenuating circumstances, the director may appeal to the district manager for district events or the executive committee director for state events. The district manager or executive committee chair may use his/her discretion and accept or reject the application based on each case. If the director wishes to further appeal the decision of the district manager or executive committee chair, an administrator of the member school may appeal to the Executive Committee for a final ruling.
- Each manager or supervisor will provide directors with information concerning place, dates and scheduling of district events.
- MSVMA does not allow the use of duplicated music by the performer(s) or adjudicators, except when written permission from the publisher is presented. Music from CD ROM anthologies on the required list may be reproduced and must include the identifying logo on each page. This includes the use of computer-generated Public Domain Files. However, the use of duplicated music for directors and/or piano accompanists, providing a copy of the purchased copyrighted score is in evidence, in addition to the score being used by the adjudicator is allowed. A rating will not be issued for failure to comply with the guidelines. The performer will receive comments only.
Medals for Division I and Division II performances will be sold on-site at District and State Solo and Ensemble Festivals. Medals for Superior, Excellent, and Good ratings will be sold on-site at all District and State Choral Festivals.
- One certificate will be awarded for each event at District and State Solo & Ensemble and Choral Festivals. Additional certificates will be available for purchase onsite. At district choral festivals, seals of excellence will be attached to the certificates of choirs receiving Superior or Excellent ratings in Intermediate or Advanced sight reading.
- Plaques may be ordered from the Awards Supervisor for entries receiving Superior or Excellent ratings at District or State Choral Festivals occurring in the 2008-2009 school year or later.
Solo & Ensemble and Choral Festivals
Excellent Rating - Blue Certificates and Blue Medal
Good Rating - Red Certificate and Medal
Fair and Developing - Participation Certificate
Comments Only - Participation Certificate
Junior High and Middle Schools
Comments Only - Participation Certificate and Red, White, and Blue Medal